Support This Site

Real Racing...Fake News...Updated Nightly

8.11.2006

Mayfield Files for Unemployment

After his surprising release today from Evernham Motorsports, driver Jeremy Mayfield was soon spotted at the North Carolina Department of Labor, filing W-9 forms for unemployment insurance.
"I'm not proud, but hey--I've had that taken out of my paycheck for damn-near 20 years, I might as well take advantage of it." explained Mayfield. "Until BDR gets a car ready for me, I'm out of a paycheck. And those dogs don't feed themselves."
Under current North Carolina law, Mayfield is eligable to receive 80% of his paycheck from Evernham for the next 26 weeks, as long as he proves he's been actively looking for employment. Evernham, when reached for comment, replied, "Shoot--I KNEW he would file...I guess I'll have to say I'll hire him again. My quarter-midget program could always use a mechanic."
Mayfield doesn't discount the economic impact of not filing, saying that, "...I have a certain level of lifestyle I've become accustomed to, and I, I mean we, and by we, I mean my wife. I mean, how long can I go without that new hottub I've been eyeing? And with gas prices where they are, I'll have a heck of a time filling up my jet to go on job interviews. Its really just necessary."
Mayfield has been quite optimistic about his chances getting a ride with Bill Davis Racing this season, but if that doesn't come through, he says he does have "...other irons in the fire--namely welfare."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home