Support This Site

Real Racing...Fake News...Updated Nightly

12.13.2006

43: The Richard Petty Story: DVD Extras

As I pointed out in my previous article, I recently purchased 43: The Richard Petty Story on DVD. Despite capturing most of Richard's life story, there were some parts that seemed, well, "Hollywood". Here's what I found:

--The day he was born, I doubt that Big Bill France stepped outside his Daytona home, stared at the sunrise, and said, "I don't know why, but I feel like the world's gonna change."

--To my knowledge, an 8-year-old Richard Petty didn't enlist in the Navy, go to Japan, then beat Tojo in a match race in 1945.

--Come on: Richard Petty didn't free the slaves! Maurice Petty did!

--While I'm sure that "Young Kyle" used to go to races with his dad, I doubt that he had a foot race with "Young Davey", started losing, then pushed "Young Davey" across the finish line, knocking him unconscious in the process.

--While little is known about what Richard did in the sport's off seasons, I don't think he played football at Alabama, went to Vietnam, started a shrimping company, and banged Robin Wright Penn.

--Like, in this one scene, where, they were, like racing at Darlington in 1971, he was, like, totally running the 1970 paint scheme. Man, like, how stupid must you BE to miss that one!

--The final climactic scene, when, after winning the Winston Cup for the first time, he is carted off on a stretcher screaming "We gotta tell them: WINSTON CIGS ARE PEOPLE!", was obviously distorted. Richard's shirt was white, not beige.

1 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger theStewartFan said...

If anything, Mr France stepped out of Daytona home and said, "I betcha people will pay a lot more for tickets to these races one day, and it's my job to see just how much they will."

I'd love to see you turn on your RSS feed option. It's the only way I can read your blog at work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home