Support This Site

Real Racing...Fake News...Updated Nightly

7.10.2006

No, this is true...

Back in high school, it was well known that I was a Nascar fan (it was also well known that I blew my nose alot, but that's a different story). During my sophmore year, there were a large amount of bomb threats, and everyone would be evacuated to the field in front of the school. These always seemed to happen during art class, where I bizzarely hung out with some of the cooler guys.
One of these guys was Ryan, and he was the stereotypical "in-crowd" guy. He was a football player, always had dates, and, not surprisingly, loved to bust my balls. He was the first person I saw, however, who did something that would make my blood boil:
Blindly say that open-wheel racing was better than Nascar.
Oh, you've ALL met these guys--they watch one tape-delayed broadcast of San Marino on Speed, and suddenly they just KNOW that F1 is better than Nascar. And, of course, since Nascar hadn't really exploded yet (that would happen in college, where nobody cared), there wasn't much I could do.
Ryan, you said during ALLLL those bomb threats how F1 was better than Nascar, how F1 drivers were SOOO better than Nascar drivers.
Well it looks like one of those exalted F1 drivers has realized that Nascar puts together a pretty damn good product. And now HE'S coming to MY type of racing. F1 might still be the top racing series in the world, but Nascar is more than just second-fiddle.
Its first-and-a-half fiddle.

2 Comments:

At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can we leave the bashing out of this, for once?

It's simply a case of a very talented driver wanting a new challenge. JPM is a great F1 racer, we all know this.

But to be fair, he's a racer's racer. He loves challenges. And this is new and it's something someonone hasn't done in years.

But leave it to the motorsports talking headsto make it a bashing fight.

Take it for what it is. I'm sure we'll all enjoy it. Even though I'm sure you said this half-heartedly as it is.

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this. One of your best entries ever, man. Thanks for all the laughs you bring into my life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home